Foodbank Hunger Report 2021
Foodbank has revealed one in six Australian adults haven’t had enough to eat in the last year and, even more shockingly, 1.2 million children have gone hungry.
The newly released Foodbank Hunger Report 2021, shows that more than half of people impacted by severe food insecurity go a whole day every week without eating.
The report, now in its 10th year, highlights that the pandemic continues to deliver challenges that are exacerbating pre-existing issues in our community.
In addition to those who were already struggling before COVID-19, the pandemic has caused others to experience vulnerability for the first time. In fact, more than one in three of last year’s food insecure Australians (38 per cent) had never been in that position before.
- One in six Australian adults haven’t had enough to eat in the last year.
- 2 million children have gone hungry in the last year.
- Uncertain access to food affects Australians from all walks of life.
- One in three people struggling to meet their food needs are new to the situation.
- Two in five people seeking food relief do not get enough for their household’s needs.
- More than half of people impacted by severe food insecurity go a whole day every week without eating.
- 64 per cent of food insecure Australians have a job.
- Foodbank provides food relief to more than a million people each month.
Click here to access the report.