Protected Cropping Grower
Family Fresh Farms, NSW
HILA Employment Category: Protected Cropping Grower
Protected Cropping Growers are currently in high demand, they oversee the production of horticultural crops in a protected environment such as a greenhouse or tunnel. The benefit of protected cropping is that it provides a controlled environment for growers to produce all year round. It also improves plant growth by providing the most ideal environment which helps prevents crop loss. Jennifer’s work as a protected cropping grower at Family Fresh Farms in Peats Ridge, NSW, is fast paced and mostly hands on with some computer work. Along with supervising and organising teams, she helps to plan and coordinate all activities involved in crop production, from soil preparation to harvesting.
- Planning and coordinating the production and marketing of crops, from soil preparation to harvest taking into account environmental and market factors
- Selecting and planting seeds, seedlings, and bulbs, and grafting new varieties to root stocks
- Maintaining crop production by cultivating, de-budding and pruning, and maintaining optimal growing conditions
- Organising and conducting farming operations, such as collecting, storing, grading, and packaging produce, and organising the sale, purchase, and dispatch of produce
- Directing and overseeing general farming activities such as fertilising and pest and weed control
- Maintaining farm buildings, fences, equipment, and water supply systems
- Maintaining and evaluating records of farming activities, monitoring market activity, and planning crop preparation and production to meet contract requirements and market demand
- Managing business capital including budgeting, taxation, debt, and loan management
- May select, train, and supervise staff and contractors
- Establish and monitor hydroponic crops
- Plan a growing-on program
- Plan a propagation program
- Develop a horticultural production plan
- Identify risk and apply risk management processes
- Monitor the implementation of quality and food safety programs.
- AHC- Agriculture, Horticulture and Conservation and Land Management Training Package
- AHC21819- Certificate II in Protected Horticulture
- Forklift licence.
- Leadership and management courses.
- Chemical Certificate.